At Makarora Mountainview we are committed to help protect and sustain the environment for future generations. We recognise the impact of our operation on the environment around us and try to minimise that impact. As a result we have the following sustainability policy.
- Select products on criteria such as sustainability, reliability, ethical practices, social supplies, workplace safety and health supplies.
- ‘Buy local’ where possible to minimise environmental impact.
- Encourage environmental responsibility by our suppliers and contractors.
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation.
- Take a proactive approach to future requirements and obligations.
- Conserve natural resources through the responsible use of energy, water and materials whilst also maintaining the quality of service expected by our guests.
- Monitor performance and aim for continued improvement by reducing, re-using, and recycling in areas such as energy consumption, reduction of waste materials and water consumption.
- Ensure all staff are aware of the potential environmental effects of their activities and the benefits of improved environmental performance.
- We are also working towards becoming a carbon neutral organisation.
- Use environmentally-friendly cleaning products where possible.
- Active participation by all staff members in environmentally sound community projects at least annually.
We are implementing our policy by:
- Cans, cardboard, glass, paper, plastic.
- Food waste is fed to our cattle and non-food organic waste is composted
- Monitoring gas and electricity consumption on an on-going basis.
- Move to low-energy light bulbs (as old bulbs expire)
- Timer controlled heating
- Re-use towels on guest request.
- When replacing worn-out appliances we change to energy-efficient models.
- Water consumption by installation of dual-flush system in toilets.
- Waste packaging by the purchase of items in bulk where possible – especially guest amenities
- Planting of trees and shrubs to create natural habitats for wildlife